Hi God People
is a music group in Melbourne, Australia
it's very visual - check out our YouTube playlist
the line-up constantly changes - members have included Julian, Sophie, Craig, Penny, Jason, Greg, Dylan, Dion, Jesse, Marcus, Nathan, Julie, Marney, Justin, Pat, Alison, Jim, Nicole, Karla, Paul, Pete, Mark, Pia, Sean, Ian, Ruth, Lou, Emily, Claire, Mia, Gill, Oliver, Jarrod, Ali, Craig, Odette, Tim, Ellen
- at Substation Gallery, Newport opening 'Regimes of Value', March 2013
- brief appearance at the McDonalds drive-through, Smith st, part of Slow Art Collective's 'Shelter' installation, Sep 2011
- HGP at the 2011 Melbourne International Jazz Festival ... precis of our six performances starting with Swanston st outing ... the leaf-blower symphony at the Lord Mayor's office
- a canine affair at 200 Gertrude st gallery, Feb 2011
- sound-art in the park at Heide Museum of Modern Art, August 2010
- in the NGV sculpture garden for the 2010 Melbourne International Jazz Festival .. [metal wobble-boards] .. [sculpture-dancing]
- unplanned audience participation at HGP's 2009 Big Day Out show (2 minutes, QuickTime format)
- video clip for Tiger Tooth Bangles of Nomo (from HGP + Dead C 12")
- madness at the East Brunswick Club, April 2007
- Bollyweird at Tram Overboard, March 2007
- tolling the bells at Bus Gallery, March 2007
- mystifying the prime-time for ABC-tv Set sound-art show, July 2006
- Sonic Youth support show at the Palace, July 2006
- in the large at What is Music?, the Forum, Melbourne (14 Mb QT format)
- HGP's Symphony for Several Senses at Hell's Kitchen (8 Mb WMV format)
- the Sound movement of the above in full (9 Mb WMV format)
- Acoustic Show 22 Dec 05, edited to 3 minutes (Rob Roy hotel) (14 Mb WMV format)
- video clip from HGP play to the temple of depth cd, footage from 2001 performance in the Collingwood flats car park
- HGP appear in Eat Your Heart Out, Jason Heller's zombie musical
list of shows ...
- at opening of Regimes of Value at Substation Gallery, Newport
- Biscuit launch at Kings ARI, 21 Oct 2011.
- with Mexican audiovisual artist Jorge Raminez and locals 'Security of the 4th World', at the Empress Hotel, 2nd July 2011
- at Overground, Melbourne International Jazz Festival, June 2011
- at 200 Gertrude St Gallery, Feb 2011 with guest performer Penelope Trotter .. video .. photos
- opening party for Hello Darkness film festival, Oct 2010
- at Heide Museum of Modern Art .. (photos / video), August 2010
- 2010 Melbourne International Jazz Festival, May 2010
- Big Day Out 2009 (two minute video excerpt)
- Oct 2008 at the Tote, with Lucky Dragons
- Oct 2008 with many other bands at the new RRR live stage
- Liquid Architecture at Melbourne Town Hall, July 2008 (review)
- supporting Justice Yeldham cd launch May 2008 at the Toff
- sound carriers for Damo Suzuki, March 2008, Northcote Social Club
- February 2008 residency at the Tote, Collingwood ...
- Wed 06 Feb with guests Beaches + KES
- Wed 13 Feb HGP's Art Installation, with guests Always + Paeces
- Wed 20 Feb HGP and the Energy Crisis Choir, with guests Barrage + Marco Fusinato
- Wed 27 Feb HGP with guests Francis Plagne + Lost Animal
- record launch with Zond + Mutual Loathing + Kynan Lawler, 13 Jan 2008, the Toff in Town
- supporting Always launch at Utopian Slumps, Dec 07
- 'Perfect Match', supporting Spider Vomit album launch, Toff in Town, Aug 2007
- April 2007, East Brunswick Club, with My Disco, the Stabs, Mum Smokes
- 'La Bell Epoque' at Tram Overboard, Melbourne city circle tram, 23rd March 2007
- the Skin and Bones closing party at Bus Gallery
- "Surreal Slide Night" at Pecha Kucha Melbourne Feb 07 (see JW's speech)
- Nervous Jerk house party, Jan 2007
- 'Annus Horribilis', with Das Butcher, nye 2006/7 at Panama Dining Club
- supporting Chris Smith cd launch, Northcote Social Club
- at Dylan's exhibition at SomeDay Gallery, October 2006
- on Set, ABC TV, August 2006 (read story)
- supporting Sonic Youth, The Palace, July 2006
- supporting Wolf Eyes, Spanish Club, June 2006
- supporting Marissa Nadler, Rob Roy, June 2006
- Hobart Fringe opening party, March 2006
- "Acoustic Show", supporting KES, Rob Roy, Dec 2005
- supporting Maher Shalal Hash Baz at the Rob Roy, Oct 2005
- "The Execution", Articulating Space, Sep 2005
- "Symphony for Several Senses", Hell's Kitchen, Sep 2005
- "Creation" (a rock opera), Ding-Dong lounge, (Teknikunst 2005 festival)
- on the Astral Plane, April 2005
- at What is Music, Forum theatre, March 2005
- 2004: A Base Odyssey at Planet Cafe
- we weren't taking notes before then
list of releases ...
- Suntouch biscuit/EP (Spill label, October 2011)
- Drombeslade on Alberts Basement label Warm Cupboard compilation 2009
- split 12" with Zond [sample track] (Spanish Magic label, 2008)
- track on Nervous Jerk label "E.S.P." compilation 2007
- split 12" with the Dead C (Nervous Jerk label) 2007
- Shortwave Children, an ep in the Terra Australia Incognita series, Shame File label, 2006 [press release], 2006
- Egil Rotunda Mural, on the Its Over, We Don't Care compilation, Spanish Magic label, 2005
- Father, the Stranger has Gone, on Flesh vs Machine compilation, Teknikunst, 2005
- two songs on Outer 03, Bus Gallery label, 2005
- live video on Loose Canon: Sounds from the Australian Experimental Underground, 2005
- The Ascent of the Torma, on The Undertow compilation, Shame File label, 2004
- Hi God People play to the Temple of Depth cd (Spill, 2002)
- Nega the Eight-Headed Serpent cd (Varispeed, 1999)
Hi God People release a biscuit ...
HGP's new EP Suntouch has been released in the form of a biscuit with a download code that gives you access to the EP's three songs.
The biscuit is packaged in a resealable plastic sleeve with artwork. The tracks are constructed from the home-made instrumental artscapes of Dylan Martorell and the dada spoken word plays of Julian Williams. Biscuit launch was on Friday 21st October 2011 at Kings ARI gallery in Melbourne. It is available at Polyester Records.
download album: split 12" with the Dead C ...
split 12" with the Dead C (Nervous Jerk label, 2006)
recorded at RMIT and mixed by James Wilkinson .. with hand-screened covers by Dylan .. downlaod the HGP side here ...
| Drak (boulder from green mountain)
Tiger tooth bangles of Nomo
Thunder on the way to Funan
download album: 'Play to the temple of depth' ...
Hi God People play to the temple of depth (Spill, 2001)
HGP's second album was two years in the making. The band took 20 hours of their own live and studio recordings, chopped them into tiny bits, and re-assembled and multitracked them Girltalk/Avalanches style into thirteen new pieces. Play/download individual songs below, or grab the lot.
- The Oracle's Body Swells Up Two Inches
- Taking Care Not to Induce Rain
- Danger Called its Name and We Listened
- It is Not Mine as I Live Here
- What's Not Going to Happen Today?
- Thinking Broken Open
- From the Maize Fields
- Oceanic Experience in the Overbrain
- Aesthetic Confusion Suite
- Pura Dalem
download album: 'Nega the Eight Headed Serpent' ...
Nega the Eight Headed Serpent (Varispeed, 1999)
the Hi God People's first cd was presented as two albums on one disc: Hi God People, a collection of recordings made during 1998, and Nega the Eight Headed Serpent, the sound track to an imaginary movie. Recorded by HGP on 8-track, live in a performance room at VUT. Download the tracks here ...
download album: 'The Possible Human' ...
Solids: The Possible Human album
HGP emerged from the remains of this 90s improv group, whose records and cassettes were collected onto a 2002 best-of The Possible Human, which is offered here in mp3 format:
|rotation of the earth||parameters for meister ekhardt|
|gling-pa||sepik flying machine|
|amiga, east germany, 1975||luminessence|
|directions for movement in space||divinity to the eternally good being|
|wider river||clay owl|